A pipeline is a defined sequence of tasks a Service or Application performs in order to execute successfully. As this definition might imply there are several different types of pipelines to perform a series of tasks depending on how you logically choose to group them. For example, you can create a Q/A pipeline to run smoke checks, Canary checks, and preliminary checks to make sure that your code is error free. Pipelines are inherently flexible and often tailored to your organization's workflow.
While visual representations of pipelines are available in both ISD and in Spinnaker. You can also store your pipelines as JSON files which allow you to store them in any git repository to be modified and repurposed allowing you to rapidly change your workflow to suit any deployment requirement.
ISD’s feature to Add a Service Pipeline can help you consolidate pipelines to help simplify your workflow. By importing your spinnaker applications and by grouping tasks together, you can simplify the number of pipelines you have and streamline your workflow.
For example: Let’s say if you have 5 pipelines.
- Pipeline 1 is from the developers where they have built and integrated codes from different team members.
- Pipeline 2 is for code analysis and integrated unit testing.
- Pipeline 3 is from the QA team, in which the code is extracted and deployed in the test environment.
- Pipeline 4 is where the testing happens.
- Pipeline 5 is for the product deployment.
Adding service pipelines can simplify these pipelines by combining them:
- The first two pipelines are from the engineering or the development team with tasks related to the development of the code. You can easily combine the first two pipelines as one.So after combining, Pipeline 1 is code build and integration of codes from + code analysis and integrated unit testing.
- Similarly, Pipeline 3 and 4 are tasks from the QA team.So after combining Pipeline 2 is code extraction and deployment + testing.
- Pipeline 5 is for product deployment. Let’s keep the same as this is a unique task. So Pipeline 5 is now pipeline 3.